Friday, September 24, 2010

The One With The Equinox.


Dear Lover,

When I lived in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
I met this girl named Erin.
Who's family would always celebrate the Autumnal Equinox with a Harvest Dinner.
It was a potluck of sorts.
With roasted fall vegetables and starches and homemade bread.
Decorations of moss and tree branches and raffia ribbon.
And then, after a lively dinner together.
And lots of wine.
They'd put NPR on and dance wildly to whatever music was playing.

I joined them in one of their celebrations, once.
And I'd forgotten all about it until I read that it was that time of year again.
So I went home last night, and had my own sort of Harvest Dinner.
Roasted sweet potatoes.
Green beans with crispy garlic breadcrumbs.
Smoked havarti spread on a chunk of warmed bread.
Red wine.
Put on Devendra Banhart and danced.
With that full moon staring through my window.

Love,
Me.

2 comments:

  1. I celebrated the Autumnal Equinox by baking pumpkin bread... but dancing? I never thought of that! I'll have to remember that next year for sure!

    P.S. I LOVE this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ruth:
    Pumpkin bread! I know what I'll be making tomorrow night to munch on the rest of the week...

    ReplyDelete