Saturday, October 2, 2010

The One Where Serendipity Isn't Just A Restaurant On East 60th Street.



Dear Lover,

I read recently about a guy named Rufus Griscom.
Who said, in not so many a word.
(I may tend towards short sentences, but I'm nothing if not long-winded.)
That twenty years from now.
The idea that someone looking for love without looking for it through online dating sites will be silly.
Comparing that silliness to the idea of skipping the card catalog to instead wander the stacks because 'the right books are found only by accident.'
That serendipity is the hallmark of inefficient markets.
And the marketplace of love, like it or not, is becoming more efficient.
And I wonder where this guy gets off?
And is his apathy towards hopeless romanticism due to some unfortunate break-up?
Or is he just rather proud that his last name has "com" in it?
So has morphed himself into being known as the techie-guy.
Either way.
I refuse to except this.
Raise you hand if you dream about efficient love!
(crickets)
That's what I thought.
I say a person can know her way around the card catalog.
And still believe "the right books" can be found by accident.
If you know what I mean.

Love,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment